Changing Places Toilets
The lack of suitable changing facilities in toilets for people with disabilities is one of the most restrictive practical problems preventing families from going out.
- Families are reduced to changing their daughters or sons on toilet floors
- This is undignified, unhygienic and involves heavy lifting by the carers with the potential to cause serious damage to their backs.
- This results in families opting to stay at home which increases isolation and lack of stimulus
Please take time to wach this short video clip to illustrate these points.
Changing Places is a national campaign to provide with the aim of ensuring that 'standard accessible toilets' (disabled toilets) are made fully accessible. The campaign was initially started by PAMIS who have now joined forces with other groups to form the Changing Places Consortium. Over 170 organisations and agencies across the UK are supporting the Consortium's 'Changing Places' campaign. The Consortium is also working with MPs/MSPs/Assembly members, service providers and the British Toilet Association to bring about change. We have been successful in getting the standards for Changing Places facilities incorporated into the British Standards BS8300:2009. Architects use these standards when they are designing new public buildings.
Requirements of a Changing Places Toilet
- an adult sized, height adjustable changing bench which is either wall mounted or free standing
- a ceiling tracking or a mobile hoist
- a peninsular (centrally placed) toilet
- a privacy screen or curtain
- a large bin for pads
- an emergency alarm
- a paper roll
- a non slip floor
- adequate space for a disabled person when they are not in their wheelchair, their wheelchair and one or two carers. The standard minimum size was 7m2 when we launched the campaign in 2006, it has now been revised to 12m2 (3m x 4m), BS8300:2009.
PAMIS have compiled a directory of all the Changing Places Facilities in Scotland. To download please click here
For the location of all the Changing places toilets across the UK click here
If you would like to support us in our Changing Places toilets campaigning work please get in touch with the Dundee Head Office.
To download an Easy Read Campaign Pack click here